Thursday, April 22, 2010

Stop Playing The Victim, Accept Personal Responibility

There are people I know who are always at the affect of something. "Bobby did X and now I can't do Y.", "She slapped a restraining order on me and I have no idea why but now I think I'm going to jail. I didn't do anything!".

Seriously, that kind of thinking is harmful. Keep thinking that way and it will always stay that way. I think that this kind of thinking is responsible for a lot of racism. One race is at the affect of another race. That's bullshit. Keep looking for reasons to think that way and that's all you'll ever see.

On the other hand, if you think that everything that happens to you is a result of something you did, now then you're on to something. A lot can be said about accepting personal responsibility, but I'll start with this: Once you accept personal responsibility for everything that happens to you, it forces you to start examining your choices.

"I live in this trailer park now because I made the choice not to leave after high school."

"That beautiful woman walked away from me because I acted boring/creepy/not confident/ etc."

Can you see what happens between placing the blame on an external source and accepting personal responsibility?

Accepting responsibility reveals your choices, and when you become aware of your choices you can then know you need to make different, better choices.

This is a trait that, once you incorporate it into your life, in can spin you around in a complete 180, right towards your goal. So adopt this into your life and track your results.

No comments:

Post a Comment