Saturday, April 17, 2010

Learning A New Game

No matter how you look at it, pickup is a journey in which many discoveries are made. In this sense, it can be related to many other things. Yesterday I had a realization that I want to document, perhaps you can relate.

Went to school for 7 months for cosmetology, want to do cuts and colors, recently became employed in a high end salon. Now that you're up to speed.

I was talking to Vajra on my lunch yesterday about starting at the bottom and working your way up. I was a little down about it, having to start here again at this point in my life.

Later on when I was back at work I had a revalation. My boss is a no-bullshit kind of guy, he cuts straight to the chase. This being my first job in a salon, I'm definitely not up to par. He knows this and his job is to get me up to speed as fast as possible. My job, other than cleaning up behind everyone else, is to work hard at getting good at everything, and that means starting out at the beginning. So, it's not the bottom, it's just a beginning.

When I coach pickup, my goal is to bust a guy's ass in a no-bullshit way. But there I was, standing at the sink, trying to shampoo, getting my ass busted for not doing it right. That's a really important moment and you need to make the right choice. Mine was that I am grateful to have this kind of teacher. If I'm not doing it right, call me on it and push me to improve. I see too many guys make a different choice here. They choose to feel hurt and they retreat and try to heal the wound. FUCK THAT. I don't have time for that. I want to get good and start making money ASAP so I'm willing to put away any kind of bullshit that's going to hold me back.

Incidentally, when I have these moments of clarity, when I'm learning that I'm not doing something to the best of my ability, and I'm learning the right way... I smile. I laugh. I'm happy to be making progress, to be moving forward and laughing at myself helps me embrace the new way. I just hope the boss doesn't think I'm laughing at him. :)

So here's to learning a new game. Salon Game...

~Serendipitous

No comments:

Post a Comment